Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Can't get 12 volts to the control panel and refrigerator

Customer Question

Can't get 12 volts to the control panel and refrigerator can't get 12 volts either. I think it is the converter. I have a 2002 Minnie Winnie and it's a Model 80 Magnetek converter.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I checked the fuses. No I don't have a diagram. I checked the 12 volts at the battery post on the converter and it shunted it down to two or three volts. If I disconnect the battery supply to the converter it shows 12 volts and then when I connect that battery lead it shunts it down to two or three volts so I have no power to my control panel. If I run my generator everything works fine, or if I plug into house voltage 110 it works fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm trying to fix it myself and told you what I have done above.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

From what you told me, that sounds like the battery is shorting out. The converter may be fading as well. A good one should put out about 13.7 VDC at the battery. Have your battery load tested and see if that is good or not and then check the output of the converter again. Then get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Not sure you may have missed my earlier response to your question. Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need additional input from me here?