Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Change chassis Battery and have power to dashboard with key

Customer Question

Change chassis Battery and have power to dashboard with key off and diesel won't start.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

IS the transmission shift pad lighting up?

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is lit
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With key in off
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Exhaust brake engaged is lit up and park brake light abs lit up and at it on dash with key off
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

When you turn the key but not start it do you have all your dash power?

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Volt meter goes from 11 to 13.5 volts
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gage light are on when key off or on
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

When you turn the key ON but do not start it the battery voltage is going from 11 to 13.5 volts? Were you having issues prior to changing the battery?

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had to use boost to crank.but dash was not power all the time. And it would start
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

SO when you boost the engine will it crank? (now)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have power to dashboard with key off.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is with key off
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

Check your battery cables make sure the battery is hooked up properly, your previous symptom sounds like low voltage if it was cranking with the boost, check the main ground to frame as well, disconnect the battery and see if the power goes off with the key. IF the battery is hooked up correctly and you have power to the dash with the key off it could be an issue with the ignition circuit, go to the main chassis fuse box and check all your fuses and all your cables make sure no fuses are blown and the cables are all tight this almost sounds like a wire is crossed if the dash is staying on with the key off or possibly a bad ignition switch. I am not sure if they have a solenoid for the ignition, it would only be powered when the ignition key is on, follow the cables from the chassis battery and see if they are going to a solenoid, see if both side is hot, if so pull the cable on one side and see if the power goes off, if so bad solenoid, sometimes they can stick. Beyond that it could be some type of issue with the ignition or a dash computer issue. I would really start at the battery if you did not have this symptom prior. Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two white wires power allison trans if I pull those off the light go off when keys off. But I lose power to trans. Shifter
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a volt meter? check for continuity to chassis ground on each of the white wires, if you have continuity they are ground. 2 volt batteries should go pos to pos and neg to neg, they are 12 volt and not 6 volt correct? Cant tell

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
12 volt pos to pos
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two white wires show 80 ohms to ground.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Check the white wires for continuity, if you set your meter to ohms and touch the leads together it should read the same if you touch one probe to the white wire and the other to a good chassis ground. white could be hot or neg. hard to say.

How about that other white wire?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The other white wire reads 340 Meg to ground it on negative and two whites on pos.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

I am really not sure what is going on here. I am going to put your question back up for other experts, I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily... I think you have a wire crossed but without a print to look at it would be difficult for me to tell. I will take a look at what little info I have for this year and if I see anything will jump back in..... Robert