Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

1989 Pace Arrow 30 ft P30 454 chassie. just bought this

Customer Question

1989 Pace Arrow 30 ft P30 454 chassie. just bought this antique, I loved the layout and price. It has 83000 Miles. checked all the systems water, pumps stove LP, fridge, ect all working fine. Had 2 new Batteries installed, 6 new Tires, Onan starts and works fine.
I filled it with 70 gallons of gas drove it home. Started it too move to side of house. (100ft) shut it off. Went to start it again about half an hour and I got Nadda nothing, Starter would click but not turn.
The Genarator would start fine but as soon as I turn the key it would die.
I get no indicator lights on the panel for Battey 1 ( by the micro hood)
Auto mechanic next door checked the starter and was convienced bad ground.
2 weeks later I get ready to trace all the lines. wire and connectors in hand, I turn the key it starts right up, still no indicator lights, but the generator no longer bogs and dies when I turn the key.
Could it be a bad isolator? I still plan on cleaning the grounds.
Its running fine now.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Clean all the battery terminals and leads and replace any that have heavy corrosion between the terminal and the wiring. Have the house batteries load tested (if those aren't the ones you replaced) so you know if they have any issues. Get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Doubtful that the isolator is bad..........

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did both of those when first occured. Both batteries are new, Terminals and cables are clean and free of corrosion and solid.
aux battery would start Gen but Main Battery to starter would not crank just click. then with Gen started I turn the Ignition Key and the Gen died.
This Am after sitting for 2 weeks (i went on my trip anyway) It started right up.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Check the disconnect solenoids and have any batteries you didn't replace load tested. Keep in mind that even new batteries fail at fairly high rates.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Symptoms like you describe point to a battery that has an internal problem. It can work for weeks and then not...........then work again. I replaced one in my wife's car not long ago that did the same thing. Even load testing won't always find that issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Load Tested 2 batteries both read 800+ amps Good. Disconnect Solenoids should work off switch over entry door correct?
IF the Main switch is stuck in open position will the Aux ( battery2) start the engine? That might explain the no indicator lights by stove hood. I will pull the panel cover in a bit.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

10-4.........and testing these with a small digital multimeter is helpful here.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need additional input from me here?