Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I followed the directions to sanitize my water system but I

Customer Question

I followed the directions to sanitize my water system but I never smelled chlorine so I wonder if I didn't do it right. I don't want to kill my family!
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Trail-Cruiser by Trail Lite TC-26QBH
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Not lights, water.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put 1 cup of chlorine (mixed with water) and filled my potable water tank. I read to open the faucets until I smelled chlorine. I never smelled chlorine and I'm worried I didn't use enough.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I may have over-filled my water tank because it took A LOT of water for the tank to finally indicate it had gone down. My grey water tank was 3/4 full.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Should I expect an answer or do you just want me to minimize you (which there is no arrow anyway).
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I wouldn't use chlorine here..........but, since you did, go ahead and fill the water tank up and then pump it through the system and then flush it with fresh water. Next time use white vinegar and water..........about 50-50 and let it sit for a few days in the system and then pump it out. Run all the faucets and let the water clear up. Get back to me if this isn't clear as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! I'm confused. My owner's manual and an RV site said to use bleach but vinegar is less scary. How long do I flush the system for? I'm pretty sure I have a 30 gallon tank but I don't know the capacity of the grey & black water tanks. Also, there still seems to be a lot of air in the lines. Problem? I appreciate your help!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My biggest goal is to not get sick because I did something stupid or have my family get sick.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Not a problem.........just hook up the water hose and flush it all out, including the tank. Then drain the tank and system.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you needed any additional input from me or did you get this all taken care of?