peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

Lost the right front hub cap on my 2014 sprinter motor home,

Customer Question

Lost the right front hub cap on my 2014 sprinter motor home, heard it bang underneath the vehicle, was going about 35 mph. About 100 miles down the road my def warning light came on. Had about 1.5 gal, put it in and then the engine light came on. Filled the def but both warning lights stayed on. Saw what I think is def leaking while the engine is running but stop when engine is off. Exhaust smells strong of ammonia. Could find no reliable tech to check it out so under advice of mechanic drove it 100 mile back home. Keeping the def topped off, would lose about a gallon in that distance. could not see where the leak is coming from. Closest authorized tech is about 150 miles away. Will it damage the engine to travel that far?
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No the engine runs fine, no loss of performance. The local Mercedes dealer will not work on the Sprinter.
JA: What is the model of your '14 Mercedes?
Customer: It is a Thor Chateau, 24 Ft class C ,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will try and fix it myself if you don't think it to be too tech. Will try and get it to a authorized repair facility if it is major
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This is all I know right now am waiting for an assistant and will try and crawl underneath and see if I can visually see damage.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is difficult to say for sure where the damage is without seeing it myself but it is very possible that the tank or a feed line was damaged needing replaced.I dont recommend driving it to much like this as this can mess up the def exhaust filter and they can be expensive to replace in some cases.You will need to have this inspected further to locate the leak and then from there the leak repaired to correct this fault here.You may have to have a local repair facility look into it or have it towed to a dealer unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete