peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with 52,000 miles and a 350

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with 52,000 miles and a 350 Cummins. The engine runs great has never overheated, oil and filters have been changed on a routine basis. But it is leaking oil. It started as a spray with wind spatter all over the back end of the coach covering the back from top to bottom and left to right. My last trip in November of 2015 the engine gushed oil. I had to stop have home and add oil. I have no noticeable loss of power, no obvious oil being burn through the exhaust. At idle I have checked the over-pressure vent tube, some smoke came out the over pressure vent. I held a rag over the vent tube and the out-line of the tube in oil showed. Cummins did perform a crankcase pressure the it registered 18hg. The engine has not been power washed nor completely inspected for leaks in other places. The oil deposited all over the inside of the engine compartment, almost evenly, which seems curious. The theory of Cummins is that crankcase pressure means the rings in at least one cylinder have and or are failing. They are recommending new to this coach engine. My view is that there is an oil leak from some other part of the engine, perhaps the turbo or main seal between the engine and transmission or some oil line. The last piece of the puzzle is Cummins says there is no engine block in the system to rebuild. Help me please.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You will want to have the engine oil cleaned off completely then top off the engine oil and add engine oil dye to the oil.Then operate the engine for a short period until the leak starts and use a leak tracer light/dye detection light to locate the source of the leak.This will help determine which component is causing this fault here.You may be able to get the dye and light from a local parts store.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete