Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

I have a DM2852 Donetic Refrigerator. It works fine on

Customer Question

I have a DM2852 Donetic Refrigerator. It works fine on electric but does not work at all on LP. Anysuggestions?
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 Wilderness M-255RLDS. This unit was replaced with a new one in 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I took it to a shop and explained what was going on. I said I thought I might need a new one because of the symtons and they said that it doesnt work like that. That it either works or it doesn't. $395.00 later they say I have a partially blocked Capillary tube and the fridge is going bad.(the exact opposite of what they said when I dropped it off).
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I work with refrigeration just not ammonia systems so I don't think they are correct
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: On electric it gets to 19* in the Freezer / 40 in the Refrigerator. Nothing on LP
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 4 months ago.

Hi, sounds like a challenge. as you know the only differance between gas and electric operation is the method that the ammonia refrigerant is heated. So if it works well on electric, yet not on gas. We need to look at the gas side. Nice blue flame, check gas pressure with a monometer, should read 10.5 to 11.5 Water column inches. The other issue I have seen is that the oils contained in the propane, and restrict the burner orifice enough to lower cooling temps drastically, as the btu of the flame decrease. Digest this a bit, and get back to me we will discuss this further. First of all if it works on electric. its not the cooling unit, which is referred to by the prior service orginization

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
basically make sure I have good Pressure, (I have a manometer) and clean the orfice. Anything else you might suggest? Can the burners and other components that may have been contaminated be replaced and if so where can I order them? I have a DM2825 unit

that you have a monometer your way ahead of the game, we test at the stove. Take the burner jet out and soak in acetone for a bit, dry and reassemble. Have not seen damage done to burners other than clogging due to messy cooks. If necessary after the cleaning, if no change, the orifice can be replaced if we get to that point I will locate it for you. So as you can see its a process. do the pressure test, adjust the regulator or if it wont adjust , replace it, soak the orifice, and if these items dont work, we will move forward. do the adjustments, run overnight, and look at the results of refer temps box and freezer. thanks Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the help.

Lets talk again when you've done the tests, I look forward to it,, Michael

Hi I have not heard from you for a bit, wondering how your making out, thanks Michael