gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a Colman actually that seems like compressor is not

Customer Question

I have a Colman actually that seems like compressor is not starting. You can here it kick on then approx 2-3 seconds later stops.
Has a hot smell to it when you leave it on.
Is my unit shot? Appox 10 years old
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 3 months ago.

Hi, the short cycling could be a result of low voltage, best thing to do is put your voltmeter into an outlet near the ac, turn it off, then back on, and see what the voltage reading does, The compressor upon startup will draw many amps, then when running settle down to between 9.5 -12 amps. this would need an amprobe to test. And tis true that a 10 year old airconditioner could indeed need to be replaced. Probably not worth repairing, please get back to me and we can discuss this further. thanks Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't checked the connection yet, but it worked just fine last time out and this weekend acted up as soon as I plugged in. Came home with it and still the same result
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All I have is fan, no cool air

thanks for responding, When you get a chance check the voltage levels, however if it does the same thing at multiple locations, its probably the compressor locked up