Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

2010 Sprinter Motorhome has no running lights on passenger

Customer Question

2010 Sprinter Motorhome has no running lights on passenger side. When I plug into the trailer outlet the trailer running lights along with the right passenger side running lights on the vehicle do not run. If I turn on the vehicles headlights the trailer and right passenger running lights all blink intermittently 4-5 times on regular 8-10 sec intervals and then stop. Any thoughts?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Is this a trailer or motorhome? Not clear from your question here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a motorhome. I first noticed no rear running lights on the passenger side of the motorhome. I plugged my boat trailer into the motorhome and noticed that I also have no running lights on the trailer. Turn signals and brake lights work on both the motorhome and the trailer when plugged into the motorhome. I tested the boat trailer lights by attaching to my truck and the trailer lights are working as expected so I suspect the problem is somewhere in the motorhome wiring.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Probably in the connection behind the taillight assy. That would be the most likely. IF it were just on the boat that would usually be in the taillight converter on the motorhome or in the plug or wiring on the boat. Both sides come back to one or the other lights (usually the left side) and then the right side goes over from there. That would be the first place to look and using a 12 VDC test light would speed this up. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is something I considered, but the consistent intermittent blinking when I turn on the motorhome headlights is interesting. If it was a loose wire it seems that the lights would be either on or off unless I was messing with the tail light assy which could cause the wire to temporarily reconnect and work off and on. I will pull the assembly this evening and take a closer look.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

A loose connection could do that as the voltage changes when the lights are on. Start there and let me know if we need to go further.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue with the help I provided or do you still need some additional input from me here?