Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

How does one replace the seal under the slide on a 2002

Customer Question

how does one replace the seal under the slide on a 2002 holiday ramb. Admiral?
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2002 holiday rambler admiral
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a leak somewhere on the slide I checked upper seals & ok. I recauked all seams on the slide &areas around. All ok Side seals seem to be ok too. they move in the direction of the slide. Where do I look for the leak? I have the bed out & all other trim out.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: It leaks when parked both slide in & out. No hoses are near. Electric/ mechanical slide S;ides are original & I use a lot of dressing on them
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no just the rig is kept indoors
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Water leaks can be very difficult to pin down.... In the shop we would use a garden hose and sprayer while someone watches inside to see where the water is getting in, do small areas at a time. One area is if you have molding on the bottom of the slide-room that runs into the RV what can happen is the water can get inside the molding and then travel inside the RV and leak on the floor. I would also run the room out and put your fingers behind the lower seal and feel for a channel, if you have a channel then you should have small holes through the seal and outside part of the channel, this allows the water to drain out, if so make sure they are not plugged up. Make sure all the molding on the rooms is sealed as well. IF you see any screws being use for hardware pull some out and see if they are rusty, that would be a red flag, seal the holes with silicone before putting the screws back in.

Water can travel pretty far and get in wherever it can so I would rain test a few feet away from the room and then do any windows and then the seal.

As far as replacing the seal some can be very difficult to replace, if you have a slide topper it would have to be removed. In the shop it takes about 1 hour and another 1/2 hour to get the awning out of the way, my opinion is it is well worth the labor to have a shop do as sometimes it can take longer then 1 hour depending on access and if the seal has a metal insert in it or is a stick back style....

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Please respond here if needed, I see you opened a few more questions on this....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Follow ups are included, IF you would like to talk on the phone there is an extra charge, I can send you that request if you like....

Robert