Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have an Onan 4BGE it will crank and start but quits right

Customer Question

I have an Onan 4BGE it will crank and start but quits right away unless the one wire that comes out of the front panel is grounded. When it is grounded it runs great. If I take the wire off ground it quits. If I try to start it with the wire grounded it won't even crank. The question is where is this wire supposed to go???
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

That sounds like the wire off the oil pressure switch. Check that and see if it is missing. Let me know and we can go further here if needed. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks I'll check that out as soon as I get home this evening.Howard
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I looked for the oil pressure switch. It's not that wire. Oil pressure switch is connected. If I ground the extra wire just after it starts it will stay running but produces no power. If the oil pressure switch was defective can I test the circuit by grounding the wire or is there a different way?Howard
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I am not certain about that. Do you have a manual with the wiring diagram? IF not, let me see if I can find one for you. See the attached link for some trouble shooting guides from Flight Systems who make a superior aftermarket board for these.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

See this link as well. Some good information so Bookmark this so you can come back to it again. I suspect this IS a ground lead, but tell me what it is hooked up to. And there may be another reason it isn't making any power. Be sure that the breaker(s) are in the correct position on the set.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if that information was helpful here or do you still need some additional input from me on this issue?