Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Both batteries fully charged but when I turn the ignition

Customer Question

both batteries fully charged but when I turn the ignition key nothing happens, engine doesn't turn over , no clicking no nothing
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel is free and key is fine
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 Coachman
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing myself. I've done nothing much, just checked all the fusses (at least those I could tell if they were blown or not)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This all just started after fully charging the generator battery, prior to this everything was fine except generator wouldn't start, so I charged that battery and when I tried to start the RV back up this is what happened
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

You could have blown a fuse or tripped a breaker if this happened after you changed the battery. What I would do is get a 12 volt test light, go to the starting battery and follow the cables, look for a breaker in-line, below is a picture, normally they like to stick them 18" from the battery and can be on the frame or inside a battery control box, below is a picture, most have a small tab that pops out on them when they trip. Follow the cable to the fuse box and check for power with the test light, when checking for power turn the ignition switch ON. Make sure the brake is set and also the unit is in park.

Normally you would have a fuse box outside the RV manufacturer install and one for the chassis that is normally inside up front, on the chevy chassis it is normally in front or to the side of the steering column, on the Fords the like to stick the fuse block under the drivers instrument panel, it will swing up or have a few screws that you have to remove.

A test light will be an easy way to determine where you have power. I might also have the battery load tested to make sure a cell did not get shorted out when you jumped. Also try removing the cables for a few mins and then hook them up and see if you have power.

Hope this gives you some direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...