Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind. We were away, came home

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2001 Fleetwood Southwind. We were away, came home and several days later my wife tried to put the slide out out so she could clean the motor home. It wouldn't move! I thought I would bring it over to the apron in front of my garage to see if I could find the trouble. When I tried to back up the motor home the parking brake would not release, the back up camera won't work and the back up lights
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: Not to my knowledge.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, there is no one with in 100 miles that I know of that works on them. I have been trying to trace down electrical wiring ,checked all the fuses I can find. I need to know where the park/neutral switch and relay are located. Also, I one 15 amp fuse under the dash that blows every time I turn the ignition on after I have replaced it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that I need Some advice. A wording for that P32 chassis would be helpful but I haven't been able to find one on the web.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Please forgive the questions by the "person" asking those questions. Still working the bugs out of that part! Check the batteries first and the cables to be sure that isn't the issue. About 80% of the slide issues we see are failing batteries or those that haven't been serviced in some time. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Be sure you take some photos or make a good diagram of the cables so you get them back the same way again. Hope that helps here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What I mention to say was, I need a wiring diagram for a P32 chassis. Can't seem to find on the web.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have checked the batteries and they are charged. I cleaned the post connections.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Which fuse is blowing? And you should be able to get a good chassis manual at Faxon Automotive Literature or Lloyd's. I am adding a link to that site for you. http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Here is the link to Lloyds. http://www.lloydsautolit.com/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think the problem may be inter twined with the park/neutral switch or relay because the slide out is connected to it so you can't put it out unless the auto parking brake is on.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Could be, but on most systems that is just a ground link. Which fuse is blowing? And are you measuring just the surface voltage or did you actually have them load tested to be sure they don't have a shorted cell. That will blow fuses.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuse number 10 under the dash is the one blowing.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I don't have any diagrams to show what the fuse controls. Aren't they marked there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Surface voltage, it won't move because the auto park break won't release so I can't take it any where to get it tested, however the engine starts and runs fine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, they are not marked, just a number.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

A battery can show good voltage on a meter and still be defective. Happens all the time. Load testing is the only way to tell. Most places that sell them can test them for you. You may have to take them out first. If you do...........be sure and take a photo of the cables and mark them so you get them back the same way again. Lloyds' has manuals for these and they should have all the wiring diagrams. I don't know if Fleetwood's diagrams would show those. You might give that a try. (###) ###-####and give them your FIN number so they know which coach you have. Good to have these!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. 10 fuse may be the turn signal/back up lights. They aren't working either!
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Could be, but that won't affect the slide out issue. That is going to be something on the house battery side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could a lightning strike or voltage surge caused these problems? Every thing was working fine when we came home, then all at once all the malfunctions happened. We did have several thunder storms go through in the interval between coming home and when my wife unsuccessfully tried to put the slide out out.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Perhaps, but I would start by load testing the house batteries. I would sure want to rule those out first. About 80% of the electrical issues relating to slideouts are battery problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I all have that done tomorrow. In the mean time I will try to run down some wiring diagrams. Thanks so far for the assistance. I may be back tomorrow. I'm tired and am going to stop for today.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Not a problem.........Bookmark this and come back to it again any time. And you are quite welcome!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
FYI, neither faxonautoliterature or lloydsautolit have any wiring diagrams for a 2001 or any other p32 chassis. I have determined that I have a bad park/neutral switch relay. Problem, I can't find it. Can any one give me a part number or the location where this relay is located.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

They won't be separate, but only in the total chassis manual. I don't have that information myself so I will open this back up for another tech to offer something.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. I really need to know where the park/neutral switch relay is located. I can't move the motor home until I find it.