Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We just bought a class c Jubilee by Zimmer. It is old, 1984,

Customer Question

We just bought a class c Jubilee by Zimmer. It is old, 1984, and has no owners manual. We can't figure out how to get the interior lights to come on with the dedicated "house" battery. Can you help me?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

It should switch over to battery automatically. The charging side of the converter may not be working OR if the battery disconnect switch is in the wrong position that can do this as well. If you have a small digital mutimeter this is pretty easy to test for. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where would the battery disconnect switch be located? I can't find anything like that.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Some are mounted on the dash.......usually on the left hand side. Some are mounted by the entry door. Rocker style switch. Some would say "Aux" or Battery Aux" on them. When you hit them you should hear a distinct "click" as the solenoid closes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My husband and I went over the mh from front to back. We found the panel corresponding to the battery, but not in a place you mentioned. It is, in fact,under the bed support. The instructions printed on the cover say that the lights should operate automatically on battery power when the mh is not plugged in. There is NO switch. They don't work automatically, so there is some other problem. My husband found a box under the hood that he called an isolater, and he thinks the problem is with the isolater. I don't know of anything you did to help me that would require payment, as none of the information you gave me was of any use. We found the problem ourselves, in spite of your "help".
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I don't think the isolator is the problem. That just allows the batteries in the house side to be charged when the engine is running. This format depends on multiple exchanges of information and sometimes it takes a few back and forth discussions to arrive at a solution. Rarely, is it resolved on the first one. There is only one fee no matter how many it takes. The only "extra" fee is if you want to do this over the phone. I don't charge my customers any more for multiple calls. If you have to go to a shop for repair or call in a mobile tech, you will see that our fees are a great deal! In any event, you can always request another tech here or ask for a refund. Either one will be granted quickly. Hope that explains this process a little better. Let me know if you want to continue or he needs help with the testing.