Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Plugged in keystone sydney outback to shore power.

Customer Question

Plugged in keystone sydney outback to shore power. Everything is dead inside the camper except the microwave!
JA: What year is your Sydney Outback?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked breakers and fuses inside the camper. I disconnected the battery from the converter and put a meter on the converter. Read 0.
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: Checked the 2 big 40 fuses they appeared good. Main breaker is not tripped. The converter was tripped. I replaced that breaker and it's no longer tripped but still nothing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's all I've done so far other than pulling some panels and looking at some of the wiring but I haven't found anything obvious wtong
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

This might take some going back and forth......

Are you missing ALL the AC power, that would be the outlets, TV Microwave etc. Understand the microwave is working but how about the outlets and other AC powered items, it is really important to know for troubleshooting...

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Microwave is the only thing that comes on. Nothing else. Outlets are dead. Lights are dead. Refrigerator is dead. And so is the air conditioner
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

SO without the AC power you are going to have no DC power, the power converter needs that AC power to make the DC voltage.....

Do you happen to have a generator that is built in with the RV?

Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord? Are you using a 30 or 50 amp service?

Thanks, Robert (follow ups are included)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
30 amp service no built in generator. And no extension cords
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK..

Make sure the source you are using does not have a tripped breaker OR try another source, you want to eliminate that as a possible problem.

Next go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset button on them, they like to stick them in the bathroom or galley but can be just about anywhere else including the outside.

The AC power should come right from the supply to the breaker panel. SO if you only have some AC voltage could be a loose connection inside that breaker panel, there is no reason all the other AC items would not be working. Having some AC power tells me it is a tripped GFI or bad connection at the breaker panel.

Make sure you also check outside for any tripped GFI's....

IF you can still can not find the issue the last thing I would try is a polarity checker, this will plug into the outlets and tell you if there is a wiring issue, most places like home depot have them for a few dollar, if it picks up a fault then it could be the supply or cord.

Hope this helps some..... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just located the gfci plug it appears to be tripped and isn't reseting.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

IF it has no power going to it then it will not reset. It really sounds like you could have an issue at the breaker panel. I might try and isolate the AC power and check the connections. Try another source as well, before you plug in shut all the breakers OFF, after you plug in turn them ON....

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Problem is I only have one 30 amp hook up.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Understand, have you been plugged into that source before? OR is this at a campground?

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is at my house and yes it's been used before but it hasn't been used since last uear
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Year
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

I would try the polarity checker then, see if it picks up a fault. IF it does not pick up a fault or does not even light up I would first check your connections at the supply and then at the breaker panel inside, the cord should go right to the breaker panel, normally there are no splices. I would say take it to a shop but before doing that I would try and find a park or somewhere you can try another source. It could be the supply, have to try and narrow it down.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, if you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating at the top of the page.... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried a different source no change
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK

So it has to be where it is coming into the breaker panel. Could be a loose lug on the panel, wire touching etc.... Make sure you also do not have another GFI hiding on the outside. I have seen them in some strange places.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only found one and it was in the bathroom. The one outside says it's a gfu but it doesn't have the reset button
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK....

Need to get in the panel and see where you have AC voltage with a volt meter, I would only recommend doing this if you have worked around AC power as it can be dangerous, if you have no AC voltage in and out of the breakers check where the main cord is coming in. IF you have AC voltage in and out of the breakers and the outlets are not working then shut the AC power off and check each outlet starting with the one that is closest to the breaker panel and work away from the panel. Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the main and the air conditioner get nothing. I just got access to the back side of the break box. And just disconnected Power and I'm fixing to get a good look at the wires
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's 120 running to every breaker
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK...

SO if you have voltage in and out of every breaker then you should have voltage at the outlets unless there is a wring issue OR a tripped GFI.

I would advise to check the polarity or start checking all your connections at the outlets....

Also verify where the plug is outside for the fridge and make sure that does not have one.....

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looking at the breakers the fridge isn't listed. Guessing it's listed with the gfi? Only one gfi found and it won't reset going to try replacing it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But then again there is rec/con listed. I think that is receptacles and converter.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Yes that should be for the outlets and converter, normally the converter gets direct AC voltage from the AC panel, via the breaker, what is the make and model of the converter, this is making no sense. I really think the polarity should be checked. Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wfco 8055 is the converter.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I pulled out the gfi that is not resetting it has power going to it but not out
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK...

I would replace it but I would also get a polarity checker just in case the new one does not work....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I check the polarity again
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

You can go get a polarity checker, most home improvement stores have them for a few dollars.... See below...