Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.

Code 14 on my Onian 8000 generator

Customer Question

Code 14 on my Onian 8000 generator
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Seeing if you still need more help on this?

Can you get the full model number and serial number off the generator?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Model 8HDKAK-1046K Serial K070127025
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

This could be a number of issues with the generator, to start I might shut all the breakers off inside and see if the generator will stay running, if so turn the breakers on one at a time. Try to reduce the load. If the load is not the issue then it could be several causes for this code and would require some in depth testing. You would need at least a volt meter. I do not have a service manual but there is another generator expert that comes around. IF this is something you want to troubleshoot I can put your question back up and see if he responds. Robert

INVERTER OVERFREQUENCY FAULT—CODE NO. 14 (Controller not able to regulate to rated frequency) Corrective Action: Reduce the number of connected appliances, especially when air conditioners and battery chargers are running.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had already tried that same result. Runs about a minute. I have the volt meter and am a mechanic just need to know what tests to run on the generator
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

OK.... I am going to put your question back up and we will see if that other expert responds, my goal is for you to be satisfied and feel he would be able to assist you better, I have no idea when or if he will respond. Please do not respond back or it will take your question off the active list...

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

This code is set when the engine is running at the proper speed, but th e inverter unit is not able to maintain proper output.

If you are not overloading the unit, and it still shuts down with little or no load, the inverter unit is bad and will need to be replaced.

The inverter unit is extremely expensive - over $2000, so be prepared for the sticker shock.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is what I'm afraid of. As soon as the breaker kicks on in the brain box the Genny shuts down
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

I don't know what you are calling a brain box.

Are you referring to the transfer switch?

If so, what all do you have on in the coach? You may just be overloading the genset.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is the transfer switch for shore power or gen power. There is nothing running in the MH. No load.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

If you have nothing on in the coach, then your inverter is bad.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

was this what you wanted to know?