Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a surban water heater per normal its both electric

Customer Question

I have a surban water heater per normal its both electric and gas. its in a new 2016 outback with a jenson touchpad.. problem is it works on electric but the Jensen system tells me to check the water heater and shuts the heater down. we have to dismiss the screen and turn the water heater back on. what I have done to this point first with it being new brought it back to the dealer they changed the pressure release value, did not fix it next trip. with a friend we checked the temp sensors and they work proper the 12 volt cuts the gas off at 130 ( I checked the temp at the faucet). so we turn on the unit let it come up to temp and the pressure release value dripps the gas cuts off at 130 and all is well. we run the faucet and the gas comes back on when the temp gets near 130 this time the jenson system puts up the check water heater screen and a few min after the system cuts the power to the 12 volt temp sensor and the unit will not come back on. we reset the system and it does it all over again heats up drips we get the warning and system cuts out.. the over pressure value never trips out the system. need a little help what can the jenson system seeing, the wiring diagram has 4 wires going from the board to the screen gas, electric, fault, ground.. any help would be great. I would bring it back in but they don't seem to listen and we are camping all season at different places.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Too many "do-dahs" and most of them problems. I can tell you the dripping on the PTR valve is due to the tank being waterlogged and that can cause problems with the temp sensors as well. I would correct that by draining the tank and refulling in again so that the air cushion is restored and see if this corrects this. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks we have done that very thing several times to no avail. the real question is why is the jenson system shutting down the water heater and what may it be seeing???
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

It may be just not working the way it is supposed to. I don't think I really can tell you and you may have to discuss this with them. New systems are usually "buggy" and it takes some time to sort out. My guess........and it is just that, would be some sort of electrical feedback issue OR loose connections. Tracking this down may take some time and I would give them a call. Since I really can't give you an answer based on anything but hunch, I will opt out of this and allow another tech here to offer something. I don't recall seeing this question before and I am on here almost every day.