Fix-it..
Fix-it.., Commercial Transport Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as Class A Motor Home chassis specialist.
35815791

Stop engine issue, probably low oil pressure indication (oil

Customer Question

stop engine issue, probably low oil pressure indication (oil pressure s/b fine and recent oil change; oil level is fine) 1998 Foretravel Cummins C8.3
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: unknown and no; oil pressure goes down, engine quits
JA: What is the model of your '98 RV?
Customer: oil pressure indicator....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: U270; possibly myself, depends; I did change oil myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 5 months ago.
Good evening
Did this occur after the oil change?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know age of oil pump. May be original 1998, Foretravel U270, appx 320,000 miles.I changed oil myself months ago. Motor home not then driven for months.Recently took trip: Engine stopped on 3rd day of driving, appx 800 miles of driving.
(drove 600 miles in two days, stopped 3 days, drove 80 miles, stopped one more day, drove 100 miles and engine stopped.)Engine able to be started after a waiting period.Happened 3 times next morning after original problem.
Took to Freightliner Cummins service center. Couldn't find anything wrong.To get home I put tie-wrap on fuel cut off switch. The tech showed me how to. With that I was able to get home (appx 400 miles).During trip home, I noticed maybe six different times that there was zero oil pressure and motor would've stopped.Engine oil level is fine.Jim Gardner, cell(###) ###-#### 7/15/2016 1207 EST
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 4 months ago.
Do you have any guages I think we should plug into the engine and see if you actually have a problem or not
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Computer on that 1998?fyi: About a month ago I had Lazy Days RV check out an issue I had on a Jan 2016 trip issue where the low air presssure light came on for a few miniutes and the alarm kind of tried to sound (like it was barely an issue). It happened 3 or 4 times on that trip. However about a month ago Lazy Days couldn't find anything at all wrong (I don't know if what they checked would've included this oil pressue issue or not. That guy at Freightliner checked out just about everything and could'nt find any problems. The low air pressure has not happened, even though they said they didn't fix anything.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually a problem? Motor cutting off is a problem???????
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 4 months ago.
The reason I want to do this is sometimes a sensor can cause this and by plugging into the engine tells us if it's a sensor problem or a actual base engine issue.
Expert:  Fix-it.. replied 4 months ago.
We see it where a sensor can cause this