gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a Thor Ace with a CumminsOnan 4500. I recently had

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Thor Ace with a CumminsOnan 4500. I recently had the oil changed after 98 hrs. When I tried to start the generator it took about an hour to start. The generator would shut off if I had the AC and another item on. There was a 3 blink code. I kept the generator on for several hours and it seemed to smooth out. Now, 11 hours of use later, the generator will not turn on....there are lights but it just makes an odd sound if I attempt to start it...not a sound that indicates it might turn over, Not sure how to really describe it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

I really need to know what kind of sound it is making - clicking, buzzing, squealing etc.

I also need to know the exact fault code it is displaying.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?