Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

My Onan 5500 has a problem staying started. It starts and

Customer Question

My Onan 5500 has a problem staying started. It starts and runs for 5 to 10 minutes then shutters and shuts down. I attempt to start it and it takes about four or five minutes before it starts again and then runs for another 8 to 10 minutes and shudders and shuts down this happened 22 times last night and then it started and ran for six hours. What is the problem
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

The most likely problem is the fuel pump and filter. They can run even up to about 20 minutes or so when the fuel pump is failing. Happens all the time. Just had one like this yesterday with the same problem. Try that and get back to me. Amazon has some good prices on pumps and filters. Be sure you get the correct one. If you need help with this I need the complete model number off the data plate. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
filter is less than 10 hours old. If it was fuel pump, why is it now running over 10 hours? happpens at night after long drive. after several hours of on and off, after 8-10 min running, settles down and runs smooth. someone said oil could be thinning out after warming up and low oil sensor cuts off generator due to " low oil".
so only filter, fuel pump or thin oil?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Might be, but doubtful..........erratic behavior on the fuel pump is the most common cause. Did you print out the trouble shooting guide? That gives you some things to follow. Usually the oil sensor works or it doesn't.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ill call when I get home thurs
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue with the help I provided or do you still need some additional input here? If not, please take the time to enter a rating for my assistance to you as that is the only way I get credit from the site for my time. Thanks!