Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I yhave created my own problems. when i changed out a slide

Customer Question

i yhave created my own problems. when i changed out a slide module I left the power no then shorted out the module and the slide stated to move sithe out releaseing the lock arms. by the time i relalizes
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: relalize what was happening the slide went out approx 5" . I loosened the transtorque bushing and moved the slide in. Newmar 2006 deisel pusher mo
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: MOuntian Arie
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

So you had the power on when you put the new module in and then what happened?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
After I manually retraced the slide in using a 5/8" wernch on the hex head nut on the gear box. I have the front outside corners (top and bottom) of the silde perfectly in place. The outside back of the slide is out by 1 7/8" I then replaced the module. Ran the slide out 12" only. I forgot to retighten the 5/8" hex nut before runnig out the slide electricly. So I thought. Now I believe that the gearbox or the transtorque nut is damaged. Dure to me striping it. How do I take apart this gear box. Are there any spring loaded gaers ect. that will come apart as I remove the gear box. What is the procedure for takeing this apart. I likely over tighten the transtorque nut
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will I be able to locte parts for the gear box or is it a complete assemble
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I think this is probably a Power Gear unit on this and those gear boxes and motors are serviced as a unit and not as individual least so far as the gearbox is concerned. Get me a part number off the unit and I can direct you further here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
where do I find this number. I can't recall seeing any number. I will need to get back to you on this one the rig is not here will go back tomorrow. How does this gear box come out. It is in the middle of the two/split shafes that drive the slide. It is likely a K-900 slide out motor. What is required tom remove this gear box
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to remove this gear box
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

It will be on the motor assy.........depending on which system you have. Fleetwood uses more than one. It should just unbolt once you take the two tracking shafts loose. Take care not to short out the power leads. Best to remove the fuse or take the negative cable off thebattery. If you want, attach a photo or two so I can see which version you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not only did I learn my lesson I do know better.... the power is OFF when I work on it. Newmar uses a cog wheel that drives out the slide I'm not sure what comes apart and where to start releasing the shafts
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How did I get back to you tomorrow
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

That sounds like an old Barker slide out system. They were the only ones who used that. I hope those parts are still available. Get me any names and numbers you can so we can track that down.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Attach a photo of your gearbox area if you need some guidance. Barker used to have some exploded view diagrams available for their slide hardware.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue or do you still need some additional input from me here?