gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My dometic 2852 camper fridge is not working. It will work

Customer Question

Hi. My dometic 2852 camper fridge is not working. It will work on gas but not electric. We replaced the circuit board and the heating element and it still isn't working. We have a 2011 Heartland Elkridge fifth wheel. Any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 months ago.

Hi sorry for your worries, you need to use your voltmeter, and see if there is actually power going to the heater when on ac. I see you have replaced the board and the elements, lets do the troubleshooting as if you have not, also on the board there are a couple of fuses on the circuit board, the glass fuse is for 120vac the flat 5amp fuse is for 12volt, make sure it is good...............test with your voltmeter where the element is connected to the board, see if there is 120vac there when on ac.............Also check the outlet that the refer is plugged into for 120vac, let me know what you find. thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm getting 120V to the board on both sides of the fuse and the DC fuse is good as well. My problem is that the + side of the heating element is not getting power when the unit is turned on forcing it to convert to LP.

when you refer to the + side of the element is your refer 3 way, and are you trying to operate it on dc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a AC neutral plug and another plug on the circuit board that the element plugs into. The J8 plug on board.

thanks that is indeed the ac element, with your voltmeter on ac, do you see voltage on the terminals to the element?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No.

Double check to make sure there is ac going to the board, check the outlet, then the prongs on the board where the ac is attached, thanks

Do you see ac voltage at the glass fuse ? test against the fuse, and ground

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
120 at the outlet, fuse and plugs on the board where the cord connects to the board. Nothing at the element.

when you put the refer on auto, what does it do? does it switch to gas?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After a couple seconds it switches to gas

The board is not switching over, as you have replaced it, this can be the wiring to the interior eyebrow, or the eyebrow itself, I am forwarding you the service manual for the refer clickhere

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do I need to check on the eyebrow

go to 5.8 page 13 it has the testing proceedure

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did the test and have voltage where it told me to test

Go back to the circuit board on the back, make sure the wires are correct. mainly the 12volt supply to the board

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are correct

Quite honestly I am somewhat baffled, the board is good, the heater is good the wire tests good to the eyebrow, and the eyebrow is working properly...........This points towards a bad circuit board......................

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's been replaced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced it Friday, when I discovered the problem.

I under stand, and saw that in your description, if all is correct from your end, the board is bad..............even new electronics can be bad, seen it many times.................