Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm marvin, I have a 1993 beaver contessa with the hwh

Customer Question

Hi I'm marvin, I have a 1993 beaver contessa with the hwh system on it. My problem is when I first start the engine the travel mode light comes on the system and the air bags are suppose to air up. The left side will air up front and back ,but the right side does not lift up. I can turn the system on and manually raise it but as soon as you turn it off it goes back down.
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: seat belt has no wires going to them
JA: What is the model of your '93 RV?
Customer: 93 beaver contessa signat
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself trying to find out which switch controls the automatic for raising it when first started. I know it has a left and right switch to raise it automatically. trying to find the switch that controls the front and rear on the same side and at the same time
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO all the HWH system hydraulic and air works automatically fine just the right side don't raise when first started, to where you can drive off. And as I stated the travel light comes on like it should
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Do you happen to know the series HWH system you have?

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's the 500series
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

OK

Let me see if I can find a service manual on this, HWH does a pretty good job on there manuals, when I read your question it makes me think that you have a bad solenoid valve, they use a 6 pack of them that are in the chassis, however this is an older unit and I am not 100% sure it was the same, let me see if I can dig up a manual on this..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

OK

Click HERE for a service manual and see if this helps you out at all, they do a pretty good job on there manuals. You will have a control box, you will see it in the manual you want to make sure no fuses are blown in that box as well. Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
remember the travel light comes on with the key on but its not raising on the right side
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
already check all the fuses they are good and the box works as it should
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

OK

That sounds like a ride height valve issue if the travel light is coming on, but would be rare for two to fail at the same time, normally you have one per bag. I am going to take a better look at the manual I sent you and see if I can figure it out, it will take me some time to look at this to see if I have anymore direction.... I should respond by tomorrow morning. I want to take my time when I look at the diagrams and try to trace everything out. My feelings now are bad ride height valves, bad solenoid or bad control box.... Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK the control box doesn't come on until you turn it on at the panel.it has two control valves in the rear and one in the front already replaced the one in the rear on the right side I just read part of the manual witch stated the grey wire has to be hot in order for it to raise
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

See part 7 on this.....

Check the fuse for the travel solenoids. A blown fuse indicates a shorted wire or solenoid valve. Unplug one air harness at a time to determine which wire or manifold is shorted. Then unplug the travel solenoid to determine a bad wire or valve. If the fuse is not blown, check the corresponding pins in the control box for the travel solenoids. If +12 power is not present, replace the control box. If power is present check for power at the manifolds. Then replace the solenoid valve for any bag that will not reinflate.

Note: A bad height control valve can cause a ride height problem. If replacing a travel solenoid valve does not fix the problem, check for correct operation of the height control valve.

The manual should point you in the right direction, it mentions the solenoids make sure they are good to start.....

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The only fuses I find are in the main box they all good
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

If the fuse is not blown, check the corresponding pins in the control box for the travel solenoids. If +12 power is not present, replace the control box. If power is present check for power at the manifolds. Then replace the solenoid valve for any bag that will not reinflate

ALSO At the top, it does mention if the system works in manual mode but not automatic mode the control box needs to be replaced.

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I turn the box on the computer works fine only when I turn it off it releases the air bags but I can turn the ignition key off and the bags will stay up
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

I will put your question back up for other experts maybe another expert will have some input for you on this. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts and I am out of ideas. Need to check the voltage at the solenoids. This very well could be the control box. Only other option I see if if you get a hold of HWH and see what they recommend, they do have phone support but normally work off a call back log. Maybe another expert on this site can assist you better.

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
remember Robert the computer system works when turned on. But doesn't work on the ignition side. Turn the key on it will not air up but after you manually air it up and turn the key off it will stay up. Thanks if you can find me some answers.