Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

The only way I can get my steps or slide to work on my 2007

Customer Question

The only way I can get my steps or slide to work on my 2007 Itasco Navion is to have the engine running or push and hold the power boost button on the dash. It quite working when I had the house batteries changed out with new ones. Since then the steps and slide only work with the engine running. Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I am guessing that the house batteries are wired wrong OR a lead was left off. That is the most obvious probable cause. This happens frequently and it seems to be done by people who should know better. Look for either a lead that was left off OR is a positive red lead on the negative side of one of the batteries. Attach a photo of the tops and cables and perhaps I can spot the problem. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The leads are connected correctly, Every thing else works with the house batteries, lights, water pump, 12v TV, etc. It is just the steps and slide that quit working unless the engine is running. I believe that the slide and steps run of the engine battery and not the house batteries. This is an 2007 Itasca Navion (chasis is 2006, 5 cylinder diesel). .
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

A shortstop breaker to those may be tripped. Hard to imagine that these items BEFORE you changed out the batteries and that now they don't. They pretty much had to do something here and IF they work with the AUX start which connects the batteries together then it has to be something there. Always possible that one of the batteries is defective. We see this frequently. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it is going to be good. If you don't find any other cause I would have them load tested and find out. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Surface voltage means nothing really.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a battery load tester and have verified that both house batteries and also the engine battery are good. Do you have access to a wiring schematic for my RV? Are there any inline fuses that I should be looking for?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

No........and if they work with the engine running then there is nothing wrong with the circuit EXCEPT from the batteries you had changed. I will opt out of this and let another tech offer something if they have another idea.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I will wait for someone else.