Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a duo therm model 57915.541. I have not started the

Customer Question

I have a duo therm model 57915.541. I have not started the unit in a month. Last time I used the A/C it worked fine. When I set the thermostat to on, the 20amp breaker trips. I am utilizing house current and have a dedicated 20 amp GFI circuit. I checked for grounds and can not find any. Any suggestions? Thanks
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: I have no engine. It is a travel trailer. The battery is charged. Not sure how old the battery is but it will operate everything on the trailer including the slide
JA: What is the model of your '55915 RV?
Customer: 2008 Puma Palomino 29ft
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I like to eleminate possible problems before I take it to a dealer. I used a multimeter and checked for grounds. Could fine none. I also checked the voltage to the unit and saw 119. As soon as I start unit, the breaker trips
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

I would get up on the roof and remove the shroud, make sure the fan is spinning, I have seen issues where the unit sits and wasps or mud daubers like to make nests under the shroud near the fan motor. Make sure you arm yourself with some spray if that is the case.

IF you have good AC voltage and DC voltage I would inspect the capacitors, you do not want to touch them as they store high voltage, many times when they fail you will see the wire burnt on the top of the capacitor. Make sure you have no loose wires or chewed wires, sometimes rodents can cause issue so I would be looking for any signs of that, beyond that it could be a bad compressor if the capacitors are good, if you like I can send you a service manual that covers most models and will allow you to check the compressor out.... Hope this helps some... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert