gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

1995 Safari Sahara motorhome, sat years. Trying to leave on

Customer Question

1995 Safari Sahara motorhome, sat for 5 years. Trying to leave on vacation in a few hours. Found brake lights flickering when holding pedal down hard. Also, power steering was a little weak when I test drove it a few days ago. It has hydroboost system.
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: Yes it has fluid. steers ok, just noticed its a little stiff. real problem is brake system uses that power steering pump too. I think the pump isn't putting out fully. So when the electric backup pump turns on, it draws down the voltage for the brake lights.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: looking for ideas
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: looking for an easy fix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Just wondering if you put new batteries in first? What other things have you done here in the way of starting to use this again. Sitting that long isn't good for these.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
New chassis batteries. Cleaned all connections. Marked and tied wires into groups labeled old batteries and new so all would be back together right. Cruise control module under dash ( has connection to brake switch ), towed vehicle and 5 to 4 wire converter disconnected from sub harness at back end. Right now I have the brake switch jumpered. With key in on position, brake system electric pump chatters and dash warning light and brake lights flicker. With engine running, and brake switch jumpered, the brake lights flicker. If I remove and reconnect jumper at brake switch, brake lights stay on for a while 1to 3mins. 11.3 vDC measured at third brake light pigtail. Then the flickering resumes until I remove and reconnect jumper again.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Possible bad connections at brake switch harness? Jumper not able to maintain connection due to slight corrosion? Will replace connectors.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a module or relay between brake switch and brake lights?
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

This can be a number of things and hard to diagnose from here. I will go ahead and opt out of this as there may be a tech here that has more experience in this sort of problem. They come and go so hopefully someone will take this. And no module in that area that I have ever seen.
Bad grounds can lead to this sort of problem, especially at the chassis.