Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2009 Jayco Embark toterhome. Replacing the Xantrex power

Customer Question

2009 Jayco Embark toterhome. Replacing the Xantrex power inverter located in the second bay, left side, next to the coach/house batteries (which are charged by the inverter). I'm out in the country with no dealer nearby and need to know one thing. There are two AC leads coming into the inverter, one input and one output. I don't have my old inverter with me for reference. The two leads are color coded with tape. One has red tape, one has white. My question: Which lead is the input? Very important because wiring the inverter backwards will almost certainly disable it permanently and cost me both money and time. Thanks.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

The red is positive and the white is negative. Those are both INPUT from the batteries. The output are 120 VAC and usually romex style wiring. Disconnect the fuse first or the batteries before you do this. Then hook back up and the negative lead to the batteries last.