Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a hydro flame 7916 ser 2 unit. The converter is

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: I have a hydro flame 7916 ser 2 unit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The converter is putting out 18.9 volts and the unit is locked out. nothing active in the furnace.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: i believe the board if bad. and yes i want to repair myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This is a camper trailer from the 90's
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the exact issue you are having? You mention the furnace however also say the converter is putting out almost 19 volts which is a big problem...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe the furnace is down because the 19 volts fried the board. Can't get anything to work even when we bypass the converter and draw from battery????
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Yes I agree and I would have a RV shop/store test the board, most will have a special board tester, the 19 volts could have damaged the board, they do not like high voltage. When you turn the T-stat On and set the temp the fan should come on, if the fan is not coming on it could be the thermostat, time delay relay or board or even fan motor SO I would start by having the circuit board tester and get that converter replaced as it can damage the 12 volt appliances. IF the board tests out good and the fan is not coming on then I would look at the time delay relay as the possible issue, just the fact with the high voltage warrants the board to be tested... Hope this helps some. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Thanks, Robert