Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Rod on black water tank came loose. Looking to repair,

Customer Question

Rod on black water tank came loose. Looking for ways to repair
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Keystone Montana 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing - just happen today. The RV is park at my lake lot connect to a septic tank. I just need to know how to open it. Would prefer to be able to hold the waste for break down before letting it out to the septic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The pull out rod is my issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

That is no fun at all! You can cut the end off the valve and insert a piece of threaded rod into the valve blade and pull it out. Use a liberal amount of WD40 or similar first. And get an Valterra Hydroflush and clip on dump valve so you can hook up your hose and control the waste so it doesn't come out all over you. I will offer a phone chat option for you so we can discuss this if you think that would help. I have a kit that I sell my customers for this sort of thing. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have photos or video on how to repair. It will be about a week before I will be able to get back to my RV to work on it.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Not really, but I can describe it in detail in a phone chat. If you can pick up the parts first this isn't that hard.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll let you know if I have any issues.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

10-4

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just checking back in to see how this turned out? Were you able to get the valve replaced without too much mess?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The rod that you pull out came unscrewed. Over time when pulling it release handle I must have been turning the handle rod to the left. Screwed the handle rod back in and it is working fine.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Great! Wish they were all that easy to fix! Thanks for getting back to me.