Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Trying to retract my awning won't come in, but you can hear

Customer Question

Trying to retract my awning won't come in , but you can hear the motor working.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Its not a car, its a fifth wheel.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2008 Durango
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Not a good sign if you can hear the motor but the awning is not moving this can indicate a failed motor. What I would do is check your voltage, if the voltage is low then the motor might want to run but not enough to run the awning, sometimes the awning can be wired directly to the battery so check the voltage. You could also jump 12 volts direct and see if the awning moves, if so then you know it is a voltage issue, if it does not move sounds like the motor. Sometimes the arms can stick as well so tap the arms a little and make sure they are not stuck. IF you still need more help please get me the make and model of the awning... Robert