Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977

Roof top A/C was working fine than it made a noise like

Customer Question

roof top A/C was working fine than it made a noise like rocks hitting fan blades spit out some ice crystals turned off restarted later it runs and sounds like compreesor kicks in but does not create kool air
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 3 months ago.

Hi, it sounds like the evaporator was freezing up, this is a symptom of low freon, and the lack of cooling with compressor running also is a symptom of lack of freon. What I would do is go up on the roof, and remove the cover of the ac. Look around for oily discharge. This would designate a leak. If I didnt see a leak the next thing to do is using an amp probe, test to see how many amps the compressor is drawing when running. The correct amperage draw is stated on a data sticker says FLA. please get back to me and we can discuss this further . Thanks Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seen no lks I am at the lake don't have amp tool to ck amps comp does come on and air seems slightly cool

Thanks for responding, without the amp probe it will only be a guess, Is the compressor unusually noisy? And is it getting very hot?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No its not moisy hums nicely no different than the other unit on the trailer does not seem to be getting hot fyi this unit is only 3 yr old also it was running along time be for it failed it was very hot and hummid had grand kids at the lake they are in and out comstantly unit never had a chance to cycle going back up tonight will bring my amp meter could it be the over load

thanks for getting back to me the 'overload' on the compressor will 'open' if the compressor does not turn, low voltage will create this situation, lets check the amperage draw on the compressor, and go from there, Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
blue wire 7.8 amps red 5.8 amps white wire9.8 amps my now how is limited but i think white should read 0 or close to it trying to find what they should be could not find

Hi, what is the manufacturer and model of the ac unit? ex dometic, coleman, carrier, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
domectic mfgB59516.711co ser31623810

Hi, the running load amperage should be at 10.5, and this will appear on the blue wire. Each wire will show amperage as it is alternating current. It appears the unit is low on freon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that must mean there is a lk some where and I did not see any servcing points like on a car so what do u suggest new unit or have a tech come out

There are no service points on the ac, they must be added at the time of repair, My suggestion is to replace the unit. New unit with factory warranty

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
whats the best way to see if my unit is still under warranty

Call Dometic directly, and have your model and serial number, and date of purchase. here is a link to Dometic clickhere

Hi, I have not heard from you for a bit, if there is nothing else I can do to help, please take this time to rate me, as this is how I receive credit for our work together, we can still communicate after the rating if you have other concerns, thanks Michael