Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I have a kz camper. When I turn on the lights they are dim

Customer Question

I have a kz camper. When I turn on the lights they are dim and a few minutes later they go to normal. Replaced the convertor and no difference. Check all connections and we're good.
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Battery is 3 yrs old. Took off and charged and I think it is OK. Why would bulbs cause this problem
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the wfco convertor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I took all connections loose and retightened. Checked the grounds and don't have a clue what the problem is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

The battery may need to be replaced if it is over 3 years old. It may be just low on water. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. IF you only have one battery (most dealers are too cheap to put in the two that are usually needed) then this may continue to be an issue. Hope that helps. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into the problem as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If battery was low why would the lights go to normal? This also happens when plugged up to the electrical outlet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

The battery may not be holding a charge and will come up shortly when the converter is kicking in on shore power. As long as you remain plugged in you might not notice it again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lights stay bright after a few minutes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lights are dim then get bright even if not hooked up to shore power
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Then the battery terminals may be dirty or that circuit may have a bad connection, especially a ground issue. Did you use a WFCO replacement or another brand. Progressive Dynamics makes about the best one and has adjustable charging rates. Get a small digital multimmeter and check the actual DC voltage at the battery when this happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can go to the camper now and the shore power has been unhook all night. The lights will be dim when turned on then get bright in a few min.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I used a wfco replacement . I have checked all connections
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Then time to do some actual testing on the DC voltages when this happens. Both at the battery and the light circuit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

As I first mentioned..........the battery needs to be load tested to be sure that isn't the issue. THEN, if that checks out, you can use a small digital multimeter to actually check the input DC voltage AT the battery........both when the shore cord is plugged in and when not. It should read a constant 13.7 VDC when plugged in an about 12.8 VDC when not. IF you see some fluctuations you know there is some kind of issue or possible short someplace. The light circuit can be checked as well. Both at the fuse and at the light. Process of elimination.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If battery was bad would the lights not stay dim
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

No.......and why not just have it load tested and find out? No use just guessing here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess you are tired of me asking questions.thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

NO............but, I would like you to do what I suggested and rule out the battery. I see this same question multiple times here every week. You asked for some help, but you seem reluctant to take my advice.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not dumb I just don't understand why the lights would get and stay bright or normal after a few..
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Not saying you are..........but, you don't understand how batteries operate and fail internally. They operate erratically when they are failing internally. Just a fact. I don't see this going anywhere so I will opt out of the question and allow another tech to offer something IF they can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but no thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Enjoy your fee
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was just asking about the battery because I don't know how they act when they go bad....
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

You didn't want to accept my advice about testing the battery. I an almost bet it is bad as you said it is over 3 years old. I have been at this many years and hold a Master Certified Technic***** *****cense. You shouldn't ask questions here and then not even attempt to do what is suggested and especially when it doesn't cost you anything. Testing the battery is free most places and a new battery would most likely solve this. I also told you how to check the system. Not sure what else you expected here. As for the fee.......have you been to a shop lately? Our fee is a great deal and one reason I answer over 2000 questions every year and still operate my own business!