Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2009 Fleetwood ghlander Avalon pop up with water

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Fleetwood Highlander Avalon pop up with water damage in the ceiling. How can I find information about how to rebuild the ceiling and sealing the roof?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Not really sure you can online........but, I can direct you if you can attach a few photos of that area to your post.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Randall,The first pic is in the ceiling area where the door stows. The second pic shows the ceiling damage ion the first pic a little better, as well as the damage in the area going forward to the front side pull-out bed. The third pic is a closer-up view of the damage at the door stow bracket, just over the doorway. I've just re-attached the bracket the 2nd time, as it's pulled out twice now. The wood up there is very badly water damaged/rotten. The ripples in the vinyl covering are obviously where it's separated from the luan. I removed a light fixture just in front of the rear pull-out bed to do some maintenance on it and even though the vinyl hasn't separated or rippled in that area, the screws holding the light fixture weren't really grabbing onto good wood at all. The damage to the wood is probably extensive enough that while I'm replacing a portion of the ceiling/roof structure, I should do it all at the same time.I've seen a video of a factory fabrication of a roof (not necessarily this one or this type) but I got a fairly good sense of how it was done. I need information on what I need to do to remove the ceiling luan and foam insulation so I can put new materials in its place. I believe the roof is a contiguous aluminum roof, so the culprits for leakage are probably the corner pieces (which I think have to be removed in order for me to remove the ceiling materials). The A/C unit doesn't appear to be the problem, as it is in many cases I've read about online; however, the pop-up vent over the bathroom area had leaked 2 years ago in the off season and I've re-caulked that. I used a clear silicon exterior caulk (G.E. I believe), but I think there's a better type I should use for a more permanent seal with better UV resistance.Help!!Bobby
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

You want to use Dicor 501 Roof sealer for anything on the roof or seams. You can get 1/4" Luan at the lumber yard and the same with any insulation. You can get some new plastic or fiberglass ceiling panel material from most RV places. You can buy it by the lineal foot and 8 ft. widths. Kind of spendy and it comes in various thicknesses and finishes. Hope that proves helpful. Please get back to me if you need more input and please take the time to enter a rating on my help to you on this question as that is the only way I receive credit from the site for my assistance. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the info on the materials. I guess my biggest question is, how do I get started? I need directions/information on what I need to do to remove the ceiling materials and how to attach the new materials (glue and what type to the underside of the aluminum roof). I assume the 3 white braces attached on brackets on the curb side and door side are for ceiling support as well as for cable raceways, correct? I also assume they will need to be removed as well?Are there any fabrication drawings and/or instructions I can get? From what I saw in the fabrication video, I "think" I need to take the corner caps off so the curb side and door side edges of the roof can either flip up or be removed. Do both of them need to be removed to do this or just the door side? Will this give me the access I need to remove the existing luan and insulation? Do I need to take the roof off the camper or can it stay on during all this? I also assume the canvas will have to come off at least the road side, correct?Do I need to glue the insulation (2" thick?) to the luan? If so, what type of glue do you recommend? I also don't plan to cover the luan with vinyl once it's all replaced - I plan to use several coats of gloss paint. If I do this, should I use 3/8" luan instead of 1/4"? My assumption is the plywood should be easier to maintain (just touch-up paint scratches/stains vs replace/patch vinyl) and easier to spot any future leaks.Thanks,Bobby
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Let me see if there are any videos that might be helpful. All these are nearly the same as to how it is done, but not exactly. I think a phone chat would be more productive here. No extra charge for multiple calls either. You decide if you think that might work for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Let me know when/if you find any videos I can look at or other materials. Then we can set up a phone call when were both available.Thanks!Bobby
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

10-4

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

If you Google something like "Fleetwood Popup (or model) roof repair video" there are quite a few out there. Check them out and see if one fits your situation pretty well. You might even try another brand and get a good one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, I'm pretty good at searching for things online and it's because I hadn't found anything after several nights of searching for my camper and my situation, that I tried this route. If I'm going to take this thing apart and rebuild it, I need information for this exact camper - I need to know how it's made so I can reverse the process in order to rebuild it. Surely someone has the assembly specs, drawings, something from when Fleetwood/Coleman was building these campers. I don't want to guess at what I'm doing and make a bigger mess than what I already have. I'm sorry, but this was your least helpful advice yet. I responded to this ad because it said you guys were "Fleetwood Technicians" so I thought you might know a thing or two about this camper. So far, I haven't gotten any Fleetwood-specific information and I'm not satisfied with that. I've told you the information I think I need to know, questions I have, assumptions I've made. I haven't gotten anything specific about this camper at all and now you're suggesting I Google for the info? I didn't need to pay you guys money for that. I was there 2 weeks ago when I started looking into this!
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Not sure you will find that here. You may need to go to a repair facility that actually works on this make and model. That might be tough. I will opt out of this and allow another tech here to offer something if they can. You can always request a refund. We can resolve most issues on this site, but some are just too complex to do in this format. You can't find a perfect substitute for "hands on" all the time. Good luck with your project!