Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 2008 Itasca Navion IQ and the engine alternator

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Itasca Navion IQ and the engine alternator will not charge the house batteries. I have new batteries and clean terminals and I put the switch that connects the house batteries to the engine alternator in the on position. It's the switch by the camper door. Any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI my name is Robert.....

IF your RV is set up to charge the house battery via the alternator which I do believe it should then you could have a battery isolator issue. The input from the alternator will go to the isolator and you will have output on each side of the isolator to the chassis and house battery, the voltage going into the isolator should be the same as the alternator output and the voltage going out to the chassis and house battery should be close to the incoming voltage, try and follow the cable from the alternator to the isolator and check the voltages. They could be using the solenoid that ties the batteries together as well for the charging... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... I am around daily and respond when I can.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI... was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? Please feel free to contact me if needed..