Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

This is a RV coach A/C. When the outside temp is +100 deg.,

Customer Question

This is a RV coach A/C. When the outside temp is +100 deg., after the unit has been running for ten or more minutes the 20 amp breaker will trip. Amps will stay about 17 amps for a while then slowly climb until it reaches 20 amps.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No wiring diagram, the unit runs good until the outside temp is above 100 deg.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: FR3 2015 30DS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it to have it serviced and they replaced the compress, the problem is still there. so yes I would like enough information so I can trouble shoot the issue.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The current draw is around 17 amps most of the time. Like it should be. only when the outside temp is plus 100
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

An A/C is rated at 95 degrees ambient temp. For every additional 5 degrees that temp goes up, there is an increase draw of 1 more amp. When temps reach 100 degrees or more on the thermometer the actual temp on the A/C may be as high as 125 or 130 due to heat absorption. So that is why you are having an issue here. The lower the input AC voltage, the worse this becomes due to the amperage increasing. You can help offset this by turning off any other things using AC like the fridge and water heater. Turn those on LP mode. Done use any adapters or longer cords. Those decrease the input AC voltage. Shade the A/C if you can to keep the sun off of it and reduce the temps at the unit. Hope that helps here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier response to your question or if not, do you still need some additional input from me here?