Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

My converter/charger is getting very hot. I checked my

Customer Question

my converter/charger is getting very hot . I checked my battery and had to ad bottle water to the cells. if my battery is going bad will this cause the converter/charger to over heat
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: i bought this 1995 avion fifth wheel one year ago. the battery gauge inside is finally ready 13.4 and this isn't on the dash its on my panel wirth all my fuses
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i am smelling like something is burning like electrical. i just unplugged my converter charger gain for a little while from being hooked up to 30 amp. i live year round in my fifth wheel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

IF the battery was in bad condition the converter would try to work extra hard to charge the battery. TO start on this I would have the battery load tested, most auto parts stores will do this for free. IF the battery is bad replace it. If the battery is good then you have an issue with the converter, the converter will take the incoming AC voltage make the DC voltage and charge the battery. When you plug in you should not see more then 14.2 volts at the battery, if the voltage is higher 15,16 volts then there is an issue. Also make sure all your battery cables are clean and tight... I would advise to have the battery load tested to start and then check the voltage of the converter...

Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping!!

Have a Safe and Happy 4th!

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

HI... was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? Please feel free to contact me if needed..

Have a Safe and Happy 4th!!!!