Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2011 R-pod with a dometic refer. It just stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2011 R-pod with a dometic refer. It just stopped cooling and has a blinking red light in a triangle with what looks like an exclamation point. Tried ac/battery/gas...same thing. ????
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses? What confuses you?
Customer: What confuses me is that it doesn't work. Didn't even know it HAD freon. Are the hose in the panel accessible from the outside...back of the unit?
JA: What is the model of your '11 RV? I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: It's a 177
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried finding info on the net, with little luck. It just went out when I got to my destination on Monday. Returned home today to start earnestly locating the problem, ergo, the solution.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Wouldn't know what else to tell him. I'm in the dark here.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 months ago.

Hi what is the model number of the refrigerator? Located on a data sticker inside the refer box, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rm8501

Thank you, ***** ***** a European model, that I am not familiar with, I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you, thank you for your patience.... Michael

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Do you have the Owner's Manual for this? And is the fridge level? You can't operate this out of level.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No owner's manual. The thing was level...maybe not perfect, but damn close. Was working, then stopped, tho all lights are on. Freezer worked better than fridge itself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would have answered earlier, but sounded like I might have to wait 24 hours.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I am attaching a copy of the Diagnostic Manual which covers this model. Print it out so you have it. I think from what you said that this indicates an LED failure. I can give Dometic Technical a call in the morning and ask for a clarification for you. http://www.caravanfridges.co.uk/pdf-manuals/rm-rms-rml-operation-manual.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

There are two versions of this. I need your Product Number off the data tag. It should start with "921..." or "936..." and there should have been another symbol flashing besides the triangle. That would tell you where the fault is. If it was the "flame" symbol, then it is in the LP system someplace. If it was the "plug" symbol it would be in the AC side someplace. Then it is a matter of tracing it down. Also keep in mind that you will get this if the AC incoming voltage is too low......below 95 VAC or the incoming DC voltage is too low.....below 10.5 VDC. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more later. I will be out until later this afternoon, California time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both symbols flash on both gas and electric, that is, the warning and the gas or electric symbol. Also, while this was going on, the lights inside the refrigerator were on. The numbers I was able to get were the SN 94300157 and the product number is ***** A friend called his friend, an Airstream expert, who said if I was out of gas, which may be, the unit won't work properly, no matter what the setting is....? Also, looking at the manual you sent me, (thanks) I see that the ignitor has a battery? If so, could all I need to do is replace that? Not that I know where the dang thing is. Hope you're enjoying CA...went to school, high school and college there. CAL POLY, Pomona!
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I live up near the Oregon border near Mt Shasta. So far as the fridge........have the LP pressure checked at the tank regulator at least once a year and keep it (them) full. The battery that you have in the RV powers up the fridge as well for any DC uses. It may just be low and need to be plugged back in so it can charge up OR may need replacing if it is over 3 years old. You can have it load tested and be sure. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. You can also check the charging rate if you have a small digital multimeter like most hardware stores sell for around $20 or so. Easy to use. A good converter puts out about 13.7 VDC. Hope that proves helpful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, after much looking around, checking websites and the manual you sent me, etc., I discovered that at least one circuit in the refrigerator is hooked up to a GFI breaker, which, when reset, allows the dang thing to work. Now, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but, that discovery saved me a lot of money. You might add this to your base of knowledge. I'm only charging $29. You can just refund the amount I've paid you. Bet you make it back when the next guy calls. Thanks for your help, but I'm good! Got a buddy who lives in Bend, OR. Great country up that way.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just so you know..........most fridges are on GFCI circuits and we usually think the customer has done all the usual things in checking. Sometimes, that just goes right over everyone's head! And yes.........great country here. Be safe.