Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a 2011 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 CDS (with the

Customer Question

Hello,We have a 2011 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 CDS (with the u-shaped Dinette and Vanity sink external to the bathroom).We have a smelly leak; which appears to be coming from top of the front corner of the Black water tank; but only leaks when running Grey water through the system.I am beginning to believe it is related to the Grey water venting connection. I also know that my Vacuum purge valve is acting up (water in bathroom when hooking up city water flush).I just wanted to confirm how I could access the grey water vent connection (and if it is in this corner) as the leak is coming down through a bunch of Spray foam insulation) and where the vacuum purge valve is. I have tried to find it but it doesn't seem to be near any of my sinks.There is a cosmetic (affixed) box running between the wall and shower behind the entire toilet; which i know should contain some plumbing, but I am unsure of how to access it and where the roof vent is. Any help would be most appreciated; this rig smells!Thanks
Nicole
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Can you expand on this some? Are you saying that you can see a leak from the black water tank? And it only happens when you are using the sinks?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like you have a line cover on the floor, normally they are screwed to the floor and wall and also could be velcroed in. IF you are getting actual water coming out of the black tank when running the grey water it could be a vaccum breaker issue or a venting issue, go to the roof and make sure all the vent pipes are clear if they were plugged the smell would have no place to go. IF you can actually see water leaking then I would be looking for a faulty vaccum breaker.... Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The leak is coming from somewhere on top of the black water tank, but only drips when grey water is flowing, even if the tanks are empty (i was running the kitchen sink faucet while the grey drain line was open.I cant seem to find where the vacuum breaker is on this motorhome. Nor can i find any plumbing schematics.The smell is from the leak pooling on too of the tanks and while driving dribbling to storage compartments on both sides of the motorhome. It does smell of ammonia.The smell from venting does occur, but only when driving with drivers window down.May also be coming up via the shower p trap as we havent used the shower at all yet.In order to inspect any of the possible culprits, i just need to know how to access them in this motorhome...Thx
Nicole
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

OK

I do not have any prints on this, normally the vacuum breaker will sit above the tanks or in a cabinet in the bathroom near the vent piping. Dump some water down the shower as well as the P-trap needs to hold water to prevent the odors from coming back from the tank.

I am going to opt out of the question, maybe another expert will have some prints on this. I do not know when another expert will respond they come and go daily. My goal is for you to be satisfied.... Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Robert. Sounds like i may need to contact forest river directly.
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

The city water flush is only for the black tank. You may have a leak in the gray water plumbing and it is leaking and pooling up on the black tank. This won't have anything I suspect to do with the vent. If these are the usual ABS tanks like most OEMs use now, they are very brittle and subject to breaking...........either at the lid or at the exit of the tank. Good luck getting Forest River to help you.........they have about the worst record of any of the major manufacturers on Customer Service. Lots of complaints here! I think you would be further ahead by checking locally on who is a good qualified and reasonable mobile tech to some and assist you with this. A trained tech can track this down quickly and recommend a fix for you. It may be something as simple as a loose P trap, but some good old fashioned hands on here is the solution. That is my perspective and I have been at this a lot of years and have my own shop and we have to deal with this sort of thing all the time and don't have the luxuary of schematics most of the time. Hope that helps. Feel free to get back to me if you need more and I will offer you a phone chat option as well.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you missed my earlier response to your question? If not, do you need additional input from me here or did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thanks.I was hoping to find schematics or someone who could guide me on where the vacuum breaker or vent lines was.I resolved the leak myself. I pulled the toilet off and found that the floor flange was not only cracked, but broken right into the down pipe feeding into the black water tank.I replaced the down pipe and floor flange and replaced the toilet and it seems to have resolved my issue.I searched for an panel in the bathroom for lines and even pulled the boxed paneling from behind the toilet (it was stapled into place) with no success. Cannot find the vacuum breaker) it isn't in the bathroom. P Trap had water in it already (I usually fill the p traps as they can evaporate if we don't use them).I did find one access panel from a storage compartment which allowed me to inspect the shower P trap and all seemed solid.No luck on where the venting to the ceiling is either.Again. I think I fixed my leak. It looked and smelled like black water and dribbled out when the grey water ran - as it was essentially the foam along the side of the tank getting saturated with fresh water as I was running the toilet for a while while draining the tanks to see if I could isolate the tanks. It was just coincidental that it started dripping when I was running the sinks....Thanks for attempting to help. I can appreciate that it is difficult getting info on these rigs, and that none of them are very well built. I had just assumed in the Just Answer Ad that when it said I was chatting with a Forest River Specialist; that it was someone with a relationship with Forest River and in depth knowledge on their products.It sounds like you are very familiar with a lot of issues that RV's encounter for a variety of models; but are not specifically a Forest River Specialist (which may not even exist!).Thanks for trying to help.
Nicole
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Keep in mind we can't recall each and every vehicle that people have without seeing them. There are thousands of these! Forest River is about the worst in providing any kind of detailed information and if you can get some from them then I applaud you. We have to track this down in my shop the same way I explained it to you. Takes some time and might be messy, but way quicker than waiting for Forest River to assist. I suspect you just need to call in a good mobile mechanic or take it to the shop. I don't think this is a DIY project.........no offense! And you are welcome. If this was in my shop we would have this resolved in less than 30 minutes. Have a great 4th!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Randal! Happy 4th to you too!I did fix it myself - LOL, thanks. It's been since last Thurs with 5 people camping in it and no more leaks!! woot!I have read some pretty nasty things about Forest River and their overall quality - especially on some of their newer 5th wheel trailers (it is amazing they get away with it) but that being said - I think the Sunseeker Class C is from what I can gather; the "cherry" of their line and one of the better class c's in the market - barring going with something more custom/boutique; like an Earthroamer. We have the fiberglass roof and nose cap and overall fit and finish is better for the most part than our Itasca Sunstar; without the dreaded class c nose seal leaks (though need to monitor the guide lights of course). I've had to replace a roof and wall before on an older, alu roof unit and know that they build these babies from the outside in; thus not all access for service is thought through.Each unit/manufacturer has their issues and this particular rig certainly also has its fair share of stupidity on some of the construction quality - eg. the waste water valve is so close to the bottom of the compartment that it would never allow for proper drainage during dumping and always result in flow back when disconnecting. I had to add another outlet/opening in the compartment to allow me to drop the hose through and let gravity do its work. Tested it out this weekend and it worked perfectly, clean and easy dumping vs the disgusting task it was prior to the mod's.I just need to find that vacuum breaker and replace it with the brass one I got at a proper hardware store (they wanted $95 CAD for the crappy BB plastic junk at the RV dealership; where a high end valve from home depot is $13.). The RV Rental company we purchased the unit from said they never used the waste water flush inlet and had found in the past that close to 50% were put in backwards in the plumbing.I am not terribly impressed with the Sealand 210 toilet that came stock either. It is quite difficult (due to its weight) to keep stable (though I have shimmed it). the ball valve seal, although brand new is temperamental (have to slam the valve shut or it leaks) and the toilet valving is starting to drip on me - might just swap that baby out completely too.Aside from odd and limited internal storage; and the rough E450 chassis (bigger tires help immensely), I've only had to modify a few things - add a fantastic fan, pull out the microwave and build shelves for storage in the galley, and convert the dinette side fascia into pull out drawers to utilize the under bench storage.We have used this rig in both winter (skiing) and summer now and otherwise; it is solid; relatively reasonable for warmth in the Canadian winters and the equipment installed seems pretty solid.From my years of looking at RV's in show rooms and seeing how brand new aluminum framed rigs can have the worst welding jobs at the joints I've ever seen; I do find it rather amazing that Transport Canada and DMV in the US allow as many of them on the road as they do.Take care,
Nicole
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Well, good job, Nicole! Thanks for letting me know...........hope your 4th of July is special!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Randall; I am just wanting to clarify; will I be charged for this service? I know in a prior email you were "opting out" of the question as you didn't have the answer that I was looking for. You were very responsive and tried your best; however, I investigated and resolved the issue on my own. I am not still going to be charged am I? I'd like to give you a great rating, but don't think I received $40 worth of value from Just Answer at all; as it was a bit of a time vacuum for us both - I did receive an answer that the information I am seeking is not readily available.I welcome your thoughts.Thanks
Nicole
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Not sure, Nicole.........I don't handle any billing. You can request a refund.