Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977

The upper front window leaks and I think it is time to

Customer Question

The upper front window leaks and I think it is time to replace the window with a new seal. I have a 1999 Gulfstream Conquest Series 1000, 20 feet long. Can you give me some tips on the removal of the old and the re-installation of a new window seal? Thanks for your help.
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 4 months ago.

Hi the window will come out by removing the screws from the inner ring. Then clean around the window, cutting thru any silicone gently pry and cut along window to remove. Now clean the window, and area on coach scrape off old sealant, and clean with acetone. Now apply new putty tape to the window, pressing firmly so it does not fall off, hold window in place while someone else screws the inner ring in.................Let the window sit for a bit, trim off excess putty around it, then seal with a small bead of silicone. Then you are done, please get back to me for clarification if necessary, thanks ... Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mike,Yes, I reviewed your answer yesterday upon arriving home form work, but did not have the time to respond as I was out again. What you told me I already know. Maybe I should of asked more detailed questions?
Once the window and old seals have been removed and the area is clean what is the best way to accomplish this task.
Are there different types and different grades of seals? There are 42 screws on the inside ring, I will want to replace those as well, are they sheet metal screws or machine screws? Is a oil or grease placed on the seal to help in the installation and help it seal? How many pieces make up the seal; are they to be trimmed or cut to length or do they come in a set length for a given window? Is it necessary that the seal encompass the entire window? Our present window seal has a gap of about an inch or so. I have caulked that up since. Is a caulk or tape used or recommended? How often is it recommended to replace these window seals? I would rather be pro-active than wait for a leak to develop. If there is a standard operation procedure for this task whether in drawing, pictures or video? That would be of great help.
I do not want to take everything apart and then find out I should of purchased another part or piece.
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 3 months ago.

Hi, the standard replacment seal is putty tape, with a silicone sealant applied to the window once the putty has been trimmed off, it comes on a roll. I use 1/8" x 1". The screws will be sheet metal screws. When you apply the tape to the window, a continuous piece pressed onto the frame. No oil or grease is used. There is no time frame for the seal to be replaced, it is a maintanance issue, you want to check the window seals once a year, and if issues are noted, clean off the silicone seal, and reseal. I hope this is helpful, please get back to me if necessary, thanks Michael