Michael Reush
Michael Reush, RV Technician
Experience:  Serving the rv industry since 1977
10974363

My refridgerator is not working on electric. It was working

Customer Question

My refridgerator is not working on electric. It was working on LP Gas, but the gas just ran out. Is there anything that you can suggest to get it working? I have only had thi RV for a short time and need help please!
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 5 months ago.

Hi, what is the model number of the refrigerator? located on a data sticker in the box. thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
682
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I provide any other info?

thanks any chance it is 628 norcold?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Under model it says 682, not 628. Yes it's a norcold.

thanks, go outside, and check to see if there is power at the outlet the refer is plugged into, open the door and check with a volt meter, if its there, turn the refer off, then put it on auto, let me know what happens, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One sec

take your time, I will be here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a volt meter, so I plugged in my phone charger & it does have power @ the switch. I tried turning it off then on previously & the light remains on lp under gas, nothing under electric, & x under check... baffles me!

thanks. go inside and put the control on gas, toggle the switch back and forth a bit to see if you can get the check light to go off. The control board is stuck in the failure mode. If when you toggle the switch the light goes off. Shut it off and change to auto, we are trying to get rid of the x it should when first turned on go on, then go off in a short amount of time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Problem with that is I just ran out of gas last night because I didn't realize that it was running on only gas all this time. So now on gas, the x is lit up because I'm out... does this logic make sense? Or shall I try as you suggest?

yes, lets try to get it out of the failure mode. we need to catch it between when the x comes on, and it goes out when it goes into the ignition sequence, and before it fails again with no propane lighting

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do I do while it's off? Yes, there's a pause when under auto when I toggle. On the gas side, no pause.

toggle to the gas side, the light should go on, then off shortly, when it goes off, go to off...............Then after 30 seconds go to auto... the x failure is not used when on electric only gas, so its telling me we are not getting the control out of the gas mode. Another thing to check is this.........go to the back of the refer. take the cover off of the lower board, make sure the plug is unplugged from the outlet, and check the fuses on the control board, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't see any fuses outside

look at the back of the refer, you will see two plastic boxes on the left lower, the bottom on is the control take the cover off, you will see fuses behind the cover, unscrew the nut you see on the cover

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Toggled to gas, x went off, turned to off, 30 sec then to auto. X initially off, but came back on. Lp still there, a never lit up. Fuses inside fridge or outside in panel?

fuses are outside, look to the left lower you will see the control module, remove the cover.......................

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
K

I'll be here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1 says f3 20 amp and another says f2 5 amp... the u are tiny clear glass tubes. Other than that, looks like a circuit board

the glass tubes are the fuses. make sure the refer is unplugged, and check the fuses

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
May be a silly q, but how do you check it? I thought if useless, the filament inside was broken...

If the filament is broken, it is bad... Normally we check the fuses with a voltmeter. checking for voltage at each clip. Or putting the voltmeter on continuity, checking the fuse itself by touching both ends of the fuse with one and then the other probe

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That would be nice if I had one... but IL in a remote location on the coast of CA & dont... no visible break in either filament. ..

Unfortunately, you need a meter to go any further, we need to check to see if the heater is good, this is a continuity check. If fuses are good, and 120 vac is available at the outlet, and it wont change over to electric, the control is bad.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What then? Take it to a store? An rv repair?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My rv propane tank is not removable. Can I hook the fridge up to a portable propane tank from a gas station?

Before I did that I would get a voltmeter, and finish testing...........I know your in a jamb, At this point there is no repair you can do remotely without parts. And yes you can hood up a portable bottle to the refer, you need the bottle, hose and a regulator.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thx. ��

your welcome please take this time to rate me, as this is how I receive credit for our work together, we can communicate after the rating

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll ask a local if they have a volt meter. Can you stay a few minutes longer?

I'm here yes, take your time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thx

I'll be here when your ready

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm calling home depot

thanks

Hi, I have been called away for the rest of the evening, here is the service manual for your refer, I will be back online in the am clickhere