gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Have a 2016 RV and power went out where it is parked hours.

Customer Question

Hello. Have a 2016 RV and power went out where it is parked for 14 hours. I hooked up another battery in hopes of keeping the frig cold, but I hooked it up backwards. Shortly after, the power came back on. Furnace and lights would not work. Tested both batteries and the one I hooked up backwards only had 9 amps and the old one had 14 so I hooked back up the old one. Everything worked, no problem, for about 8 hours. Now the lights and furnace don't work again (but there was no interruption in DC power). The wall outlets work, but no furnace or lights and the frig seems to be working. Did I blow something?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: one 15 amp fuse for the stereo and fireplace was blown. I replaced and it is fine now. Do not have diagram.
JA: What is the model of your '16 RV?
Customer: Sandpiper 377FLK I think (I am back home, no furnace so too hot to stay last night)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would love to fix it, but have not tried anything yet, Once I switched back to the old battery I thought it was good to go.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do you think I ruined the battery that I hooked up backwards and also cooked whatever keeps the battery charged while hooked up (Converter I think)?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the RV Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: oh, ok. ANy estimate on how much to talk to the mechanic on something like this?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I do have a nice surge protector at the post for my 50 amp service. It is flashing green (all ok) now. the part that seems weird is that even after I hooked up a new battery wrong, then went back to the original, everything worked for nearly 12 hours. WHen I left last night it was only the firg and the wall outlets (no lights, no ac).
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

SO you are actually plugged into power? DO you have a volt meter? IF so can you go to the battery and tell me what the voltage is right now?

Robert