Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a 1995 Monaco Crown Royal with a 400 cummins 76k

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Monaco Crown Royal with a 400 cummins 76k miles. Have started having real problem starting the engine. It will start for a second then die and very hard to get started after that. Once you get it started it runs great and will not miss a beat while setting in place for over 5 minutes at 22000. RPM's. You can cut it off and come back in 10 -15 minutes and it starts right up. Leave it over night and it is the same thing all over again trying to get it started.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes very well. I had a commercial battery charger on it Saturday and got it started let it raun for 45 minutes and it doesnt miss and sounds good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I usually stay in it full time when deployed and drove from Indiana to San Antonio TX the first of march 1180 miles with out a hitch. This just started happening about 3 weeks ago. I usually start the engine and let it run 30 - 45 minutes at least every 2 weeks. So this past Saturday Ichanged the 2 fuel filters but thats all
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Once again once you finally get it started it runs great. Thinking it could be the fuel pump but really cant seem to find it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Few things I would check out, first the battery, I would have it load tested to make sure it is good, make sure you cables are clean and tight. This engine should have a fuel cutoff solenoid, it should be on the passenger side of the engine block, it will have a rubber boot over the shaft, what you can do is manually pull up on that while some cranks the engine and see if it starts, when you turn the key the plunger should engage and when you crank the plunger should stay engaged. Below is a picture of that. Fuel filters are always a possibility if they were plugged as well, also could be a return check valve issue. Below is a picture of the fuel cut off.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the return fuel check valve located and what does it look like? It will probably be Saturday before i would have help to try your fixes
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

It would be on the fuel return line and look like a banjo fitting, see picture below, if fuel was able to leak back while the unit was sitting then it could cause a no start condition. Also make sure your fuel filters are tight, if you were sucking air into the system then it would be an issue on start up....

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...