gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a 2008 Forrest river wildcat 32QBBS with a dead

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Forrest river wildcat 32QBBS with a dead dometic 15k BTU 59516.531, the ac is ducted to the front bunks and rear bedroom. Thinking I cannot just replace the outside unit because they hosed the bckwards compatibility... Pondering the new heat pump model to save propane on cool nights. please supply the proper part numbers for ac and heat pump options. The ducted inside unit isn't described very well, want to avoid an installation nightmare - just 2 weeks till vacation.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

When you say "dead" is this not repairable?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sure it is repairable, just declared it dead based on the judgement that it very
Ikely isn't worth repairing further. I wonder how many surprises await. Our house and this camper were hit by lightning. We replaced the electrical panel in the camper, then the ac unit pops the circuit breaker on the camper after a minute or two. Installed a valve yesterday to test and recharge the R22. It was all air, maybe 10% freon. Vacuum pumped out he
Recharged unit
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Do you want to upgrade to a low profile Penguin model?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
vacuum pumped out the system and recharged the system yesterday. It cools for a few minutes and the compressor shuts off,restart then trips the breaker. The power cord feeding the camper has melted down the male contacts severely, either from th lightning or from the unit sucking more than 40 amps as the compressor attempts restart immediately after each shutoff. While I'm confident it like all machines is repairable, I have already replaced all 3 heat pumps in our house. Not only were the circuit boards fried, the arcs that shot off the freon pipes made endless leaks to repair. That's why I shortened the story and declared it dead, even though it's certainly partially alive. We leave for 3 weeks in Colorado in 13 days, so I don't have time to iterate through replacing the compressor, then a coil, then one clogged expansion valve, then the other, then miss the vacation. But if you suggest just replacing the compressor, let me know. If I replace the whole system, State Farm will pay for it.In that vein, I don't want to pick up the thin line dometic 15k BTU heat pump at camping world to find that nobody stocks a matching inside unit that will connect it to my ducts (and I can't figure out the proper inside unit to mate with my ducts). Thus my question. It appears that dometic does not make a replacement outside unit which would be the least risk and least work. They made the series 2 with all the ducts on the center line so they won't mate up with my ducted inside unit. So I'm open to heat pump or simple ac, my propane furnace works fine, but heat a heat pump with a nest thermostat would be great. In ouray it is 80 in the afternoon and 48 at night. Come to think of it. I need to test my furnace on the camper to see if it's controller board isn't lightning fried too. Will do so about 2pm today when I get home.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I can get back to you in the morning when I get to my shop with some models and prices. I am in California and that would be about 9 a.m. my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Replacement already ordered, delivered, and installed. Desired answer was that the new 59526 dometic has a smaller footprint, but is a 4 bolt quick change that is hole and connection compatible with the 2008 dometic 59526. We didn't have to touch the inside ducts, grate or controller - it is a drop in swap of the outside unit only for $499 from
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Great! Thanks for letting me know........