Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 99 Pace Arrow Triton V10 motor coming down a pass

Customer Question

I have a 99 Pace Arrow Triton V10 motor coming down a pass last night lost brakes found a sending unit on top of the rear end melted that broke the brake line and transmission slipping
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

If I understand correct the sensor on the top of the rear axle is melted, the brake line is leaking. Is the speedometer no longer working? Was the brake lone touching the sensor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
spedometer is working. this happened to my dad last night. went up lookout pass in north idaho. when reached top starting decent into montana all break fluid had leaked out. no brakes. came down hill at 90. tranmision was slipping in and out not slowing vehicle. sensor melted causing break line to break

After your last reply I am not sure I know what sensor your talking about now. I was thinking you were saying the speed sensor on the rear axle, but you said the speedometer still works, so you must be referring to another sensor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure what it is. I am two hours away from vehicle geting ready to go try and fix.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is some type of sensor with wires coming out on top of the rear axel housig

That sure sounds like the ABS speed sensor to me, which is also for the speedometer. This sensor can not get hot enough to melt since it make power internally since its a magnet reading the ring gear tone ring. Also the brake line there is metal so it should not have been able to burn.

I believe what happened is the brakes got really hot, this resulted in the brake lines getting really hot. This brake line was up against the sensor and the sensor melted as a result. Then there was enough rubbing to cause the line to leak. For the trans slipping, it would be impossible for the trans alone to hold back this RV so its going to slip some as the coast clutch and one way clutches tried there best to provide engine braking. There is a good chance a new speed sensor, addressing the brake line, bleeding the brakes, and you will be fine with no trans issues.

Please make sure to select a rating from the top of your screen prior to logging off so the post does not time out.

Thanks Moose

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he stated that the trany was slipping prior. added trans fluid worked for a while a started slipping again. if he over filled would that cause slippage. I was thinking about draining half the fluid out and replacing with new

If it was slipping prior resulting in high rpms and speed not increasing equally when accelerating to gain speed. This means the trans has internal clutch failure. Overfilling causing foaming in the fluid which reduces the line pressure to the clutches.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you know any good trany shops near missoula mt

Not far from you here in TN, but the answer is no, I have no experience with the shops there. So any recommendation I made would be based on searches you too could make.

Sorry you were not pleased with my help. What would you like me to do with this post?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris