Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a Dometic RM2301 refrigerator. It had a leak, so I

Customer Question

I have a Dometic RM2301 refrigerator. It had a leak, so I got the leak patched. The technician recharged the system. He tested the unit, and said it worked. It does work, but won't get very cold....hardly at all. Suggestions?
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? What color is the fluid?
Customer: The leak was coming from the refrigerator. I could smell ammonia.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1986 Chev Falcon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to try to fix it by myself. I didn't know what I should do, or where to begin.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

DO NOT USE THE Fridge....

If you smell ammonia then it is leaking, and can cause a fire if you try to keep using it. Really not recommend to try and patch the cooling unit, the cooling unit will have to be replaced or a new fridge. Smelling ammonia is the number one symptom for a ruptured cooling unit. I know this might not be the best news but time for a new one!!!

Hope this helps.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, IT is the only way I get credit for helping...