gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

The chassi batteries do not stay charged when i run the

Customer Question

The chassi batteries do not stay charged when i run the generator to power the ac. Is there any specfic item that i can check to see why they are not charging. I have moved the batteries around and when on the engine circuit all charge just fine. In fact when the batteries are drained the generator stops running. Frustrated in Texas. 2000 Winnebago Adventurer Ford V10
Category: RV
Expert:  Michael Reush replied 4 months ago.

Hi, the house batteries start the generator, the generator itself does not have a charging circuit, when the generator produces ac power it feeds the converter which is the battery charger for the batteries. So locate the converter charger, and test to see if it is working. Test for ac 120 going to it, and see if there is a charge voltage coming off of it, please get back to me for clarification if necessary, and we can discuss this further. Michael

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant the house batteries not the chassi battery. Makes since tht converter shld produce current. Will check. What doesnt make sense is that generator would die when house batteries drain. Would presume that those batteries would serve only to crank the generator and not to keep it running. TU. J

the generator needs the power from the house batteries to keep running. Just like your car engine without its alternator.