Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Have 1993 Atwood RV gas water heater model 6GA-7E. Spec

Customer Question

Have 1993 Atwood RV gas water heater model 6GA-7E. Spec #219033
Have to flick on/off switch, often several times to get it to ignite. If cools during night will and needs to reheat, will wake up to red light on. Turn it off, wait awhile and it may ignite instantly or make take several attempts. It heats in a satisfactory period of time, and shuts off at an appropriate temperature.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

The contact point on the circuit board is crucial, I know you said you cleaned it but what I normally will do is get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts really good on the board.

What I would do next is have the circuit board tested, most RV shops will have a special board tester and can tell if the circuit board is the issue. The electrode will sense the presence of flame and send a signal to the board, if the board does not see that signal it will shut down. So the board or electrode could be the issue. Also the LP pressure really should be verified with a manometer, be hard for you to do without that tool. To help you out some more click HERE for a service manual it may help out. I would first have that circuit board tested on this....

Hope this helps some.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

HI... I see you have not selected a rating, if you still need more help please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can...