Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I already sent a question 't know what happened. I have

Customer Question

I already sent a question don't know what happened.
I have a Onan 8000 generator in my motorhome. It starts and runs fine when the breaker switch on the generator is turned off. When I turn the switch on while it is running the generator quits. Is this a simple problem, or should I take it in to a technician.
Thank you
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Sorry for the delay....

What I would do is go ahead and shut all the breakers off inside the RV, start the generator and turn the breaker ON, if it trips right away with the coach breakers off it could be an issue with the wiring at the transfer switch or a problem with the generator.

IF the breaker does NOT trip turn your breakers on one at a time and see if you can isolate the problem to a particualr circuit, sometimes if a heating element fails in the water heater or fridge it can create a short, failed AC unit etc, you would know this when you turn the breaker on for that specific circuit.

What may need to happen is the generator be put on a load bank and see when it is tripping the breaker, the only way to do that is with a load bank machine, so if you can not isolate the issue and the wires at the transfer switch look good are not loose or melted I would have an Onan tech. take a look at this... Hope this helps some. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping....

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Thanks, Robert