Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

I have solar panel power inverter that is giving me and

Customer Question

i have solar panel power inverter that is giving me and error message ( K!-open)
i need to know how to chase it down. Inverter is a " SMA Sunny Boy "
Category: RV
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i need help fast!!! plz
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, can I have the full model number of your invertor please, just incase my diagnosis is different for being a different model.

However, usually K!-open messages are faults detected during the units self testing of its internal relays and this needs to be repaired by a service centre.

(More likely to be K1 than K!)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
SMA Sunny Boy md# ***** ser#(###) ###-#### error code "K!-open"
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello!! anybody there!???

Apologises, I didn't accept the call as I am in the uk, I left it for another expert in the us to pick up.

I am looking now for you and will be back shortly.

Unfortunately my earlier view was correct, one of the relays has failed the inbuilt self test, it does this before it will tie to the grid for safety.

The recommended action is to take it to an authorised service centre, unless you wanted to attempt to test and replace the relays yourself?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not sure if thats your answer? if it is I haven't been able to find anybody to make the repair. one guy said to call SMA, I did they don't want to talk to me!! if i knew what that code meant i might be able to figure it out.

That code most likely means one of the relays has failed, it would seem one isn't closing when instructed to.

Are you familiar with relays? You could rig up some test gear and test them yourself if you understand how they function.

Usually a low current throws a magnetic switch for a higher current.

You could use a small battery to 'throw' the relay and a multimeter to check for continuity.

You would need to identify the relays and search their pin assignments.

I would try again for a repair centre, even if a television or similar, as you know it is likely to be a relay fault, more people might help.

With no diagnosis what so ever, many people would be scared to take the job on.

If you tried asking for someone to test the relays, they may feel more comfortable with this.

I've been reading, seems the grid connect relays are a common issue and the company has since transferred to Zenver Solar.

Only in some countries do they offer repairs, one place claims to of done repairs but not offer them commercially.

Warranty and service centres may be some issue it seems.

Essentially, you need someone to replace the relays, looking at it there is only one or two of them.

It seems the answer is, you need to look for identification numbers on the relays and purchase them, as shown in the diagram on the link I sent you explaining how the sunny boy inverter works, then find someone who is willing to simply replace the components for the ones you provide, shouldn't be too hard to find someone to perform a set task rather than have to do the diagnostic work I have for you.

Please rate, I haven't used the accept call and automatic rate option.

Please rate 5 stars ;)