gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I'm hoping someone here can help me! I have a 1994 Southwind

Customer Question

I'm hoping someone here can help me! I have a 1994 Southwind Fleetwood Motorhome on a Chevy P30 chassis. Sometimes I get stuck in park, most of the time with a little bit of coaxing and jiggling the shifter I can get it into drive. I replaced the brake interlock shift solenoid, still having the problem. I thought there might be something wrong inside the steering column preventing it from coming out of park. so I removed the whole steering column, thinking I would just replace it because it was cheaper than having it rebuilt. Now that I have the steering column out I found that it shifts out of park just fine when the key is turned to run. Can anyone help me?
Category: RV
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Is it possible that you are experiencing torque lock in the transmission?

On GM transmissions sometimes the park pawl will get stuck and not let the transmission shift easily out of part when there is rolling torque on the dirveshaft. In other words, if gravity is pulling the vehicle down (or up) hill when in park then it will put a bind on the transmission park pawl making it very tough to get out of park. The best way to test for (and prevent) this is to set the emergency/parking brake before you put the vehicle in park. This will put the torque of the weight of the vehicle on the brakes rather than the transmission pawl. Then shift the vehicle in gear before you release the parking brake. If it comes out of park easily then you know the problem is torque lock, which can't necessarily be fixed on a vehicle that large; only prevented by setting the brake.